Wednesday 2 November 2011

Collaboration with Poppy Treffry

Well, here we are again and I'm enjoying Kirstie's Handmade Britain once more!  For those of you who've also been watching this series, remember I was going to get in touch with Phiona Richards of Rare Notions with a view to finding out a little more about what makes her tick - well, we're going to have a collaborative blog with her next week!!

On to this week.  All my buses have come along at once!  I have another blog collaboration featuring the work of the amazing Poppy Treffry who can be found in gorgeous St. Ives, Cornwall.  Her lovely shop just makes you wish you had a bottomless purse!  Over to Poppy.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1. Where do you get the inspiration for your designs?

I try to sketch as much as I can and these sketches inspire my designs. There's so much to draw just on my own doorstep in Penzance and I always take a sketchpad on holiday with me to collect inspiration. I also love sketching in museums because everything stays nice and still!
 
2. Is there a craft medium you’ve always had a hankering to try your hand at?
 
Not really but I would love to have more time to knit - I'm knitting a fair isle tank-top at the moment but I don't expect it to be finished this decade! I would also love to have some time to paint. I always thought I would grow up to be a painter but I got sidetracked into textiles - lured in by all the pretty colours!
 
3. If you could see one famous person owning one of your designs, who would it be?
 
Will Young of course! Team Treffry Love Will Young! (Rumour has it that Ben Fogle has a coffee cosy - and we also love him!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4. Where can fans buy your work?
 
You can buy online at our own website www.poppytreffry.co.uk where you'll also find a list of stockists throughout the country.
 
 





If you like Poppy's delightful bags, accessories and household items then why not do your Christmas shopping online - there's surely something for everyone.  If you fancy having a go yourself then why not buy yourself the book above and get sewing?

As for myself, I've been continuing with the work on my signature pieces and I've included some pictures for you to see what I've been up to.



I've been looking at how best to marry my silver work with my painted aluminium and I've been working on deeply textured aluminium and so far I'm liking the results.  What do you think?
 
So have you all done your xmas shopping? No? Then check out Poppy's website and mine too whilst you're there!! http://www.poppytreffry.co.uk and http://www.slicksilverjewellery.co.uk
 
See you next week with another collaborative blog by Rare Notions!

No comments: