Friday 24 May 2013

Bespoke or Commission

Hello, me again!

I thought this week, I'd look at an aspect of my work which you might be less familiar with - bespoke creations.

What does bespoke actually mean?  Traditionally it's a term used to describe clothing which has been tailored to fit a particular customer ie a made to measure suit, however, it is a term often used to describe other items which have been made in line with a customer's requirements. It is often also known as a commission. 

Bespoke seems to suit my jewellery better than commission does as my end product is specifically to match clothing.  I work with bride's mums who also want to their outfit to look special, often want to compliment colour schemes and who don't really want to come face to face with a guest wearing the same! My journey starts with ideas from the customer on shape, style and design and will then include colour swatches supplied by them and if possible a snippet of material, but if not then some good photographs of the outfit in question.  I dye several samples of aluminium until I'm happy that I've got a good match and then work on a selection of pieces for the customer to choose from. I'm also happy to work with customers who are not mums of brides but do have a special occasion to dress for though!!

Of course, I'm also happy to work on commissions! I recently had a customer ask for a blood red cuff via one of my stockists and the customer was very happy with it, but that highlights the difference for me - yes I was making specifically for a customer, but as a commission, not bespoke to match a particular item.

Anyway, I shall be starting to work on the new website soon and hopefully that will be live from the end of June and I plan to launch with a whole load of new work so make sure you take a look.

This week I've been cutting up a sheet of blue aluminium which is covered in writing - a bit different to my normal work but I'm quite happy with it so far, but I might keep you in suspence until the new site is launched!

This gorgeous pendant will feature on my website soon


See you all next week!

No comments: